PACE is proud to be a participant in The NYC Gifted & Talented Symposium.
About the Symposium-
It’s time to Collaborate, Innovate & Educate for the benefit of NYC’s high potential youth. The Parents of Accelerated Learners, NYC (PALNYC) in partnership with the Center for Mathematical Talent at NYU’s Courant Institute is pleased to present a groundbreaking one-day symposium for parents, educators, ed tech specialists and mental health professionals, The NYC Gifted and Talented Symposium on October 26, 2013 at NYU’s Kimmel Center in New York City.
The NYC Gifted and Talented Symposium features keynote speaker Carol S. Dweck, PhD., one of the world’s leading researchers in the field of motivation whose widely acclaimed book Mindset: The New Psychology of Success explores how people succeed and how to foster success. Four strands of sessions include experts on talent development, social and emotional issues, the G&T process in NYC and supporting and advocating for twice exceptional and culturally diverse learners. A Curated Exhibit Hall offers a sampling of NYC’s best schools, programs and services for high potential youth, while the Education Technology ‘Ed Tech’ Discovery Showcase provides opportunities to explore web and app-based learning tools to support children and students. The Thought Leaders Roundtable discussion includes NYC’s most knowledgable and influential leaders in education.
Attendees may choose from any session of the four strands. A sampling includes:
- STEM Topics: How Can We Support Our Child’s Mathematical Development? presented by Mark Saul and Sian Zelbo, Center for Mathematical Talent at NYU’s Courant Institute
- Nurturing & Advocating for Culturally Diverse Learners presented by Dr. Joy Lawson Davis
- Finding The Right Fit for Your Child Among Citywide & DistrictG&T, Self-Contained G&T, Single Sex, Co-Ed, General Ed & Homeschool Options a panel discussion
- 30 Apps in 30 Minutes presented during the Education Technology Discovery Showcase
- Introduction to Social & Emotional Needs of Advanced Learners+ Asynchronous Development, Overexcitabilities & Underachievement, presented by Carolyn Kottmeyer with HOAGIES Gifted and SENG